Every place in Greece has its own bougatsa and all are wonderful because their basic elements remain the same. The crisp buttery crust join them with sugar and cinnamon aside to surge rich filling can consist of either cream or cheese that makes it more special.
Here in Heraklion shops which sell them at the most prominent city in the central square of Lions. They stores that carry many years of history and famous chefs from around the world have visited. A tradition wants to try this sweet when it enters the new year, the morning after clubbing all gather at the center to procure and filled with stalls that sell them, because the demand is great. Even the national celebrations after the parade go all the known shops to enjoy them.
Very easy to prepare worth a try. I fill it with xinomyzithra cheese mixed with béchamel in a crunchy leaf folder from above fills the granulated sugar and cinnamon adding aroma and flavor.
- 4 pastry sheets of baklava
- 80-100 g. butter, melted
- 200g. sour xinomizithra cheese
- sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- cinnamon for sprinkling (optional)
For the béchamel:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 27g. flour
- 250 ml milk, lukewarm
- To fix the sauce I put in a saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Once warm throw the flour and whisk to stir constantly to dissolve and become a thick cream. Leave for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously until cooked flour and darken its color.
- Then remove from heat, let cool slightly and add the warm milk, stirring with wire. Return to the heat until tight and make the béchamel creamy.
- Remove from heat and pour the xinomizithra cheese through integrating it with the béchamel.
- In smooth surface suffuse the first sheet baklava, butter it (with melted butter) with a brush well, I place over the second sheet, butter it again, the same with the third card. The fourth sheet butter half, fold it in half again butter half and replicate in the middle.
- I put in the middle, above the three sheets again butter the surface and there I spread the mixture of cheese.
- I stretch the right edge of the sheets to the filling, and so the left side butter their surface. Close the top and bottom of the sheets towards the filling, like envelope and I spread butter.
- The upset on a baking pan with butter spend the top and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius in resistors. Place in the lower grill pan and leave for 25-30 minutes to get a golden color sheet.
- Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes. With a spatula to transfer onto cutting board and sharp knife to cut crosswise in half, creating four portions.
- I cut each portion into four horizontal and four vertical sections and pass the plate with a spatula. Finally sprinkle with granulated sugar and cinnamon.